Disposable plastic cups are long gone. Nowadays when everyone is doing his/her part in promoting a clean and green environment, consumers play a vital role in helping to create a healthier environment by reusing most everything that used to be disposable. Plastic cups used to be the bane of environmental activists’ existence. However, consumers are now more aware of the consequences of disposing plastic cups after a single use, so now reusing plastic cups is being actively practiced. So plastic cups have now joined the likes of ceramics, stainless steel, and glasses when it comes to reusability. Why should we reuse plastic cups anyway? Here are five reasons why.
1. Plastic cups have a long lifespan, they do not biodegrade. Biodegradation is the chemical breakdown of materials with the help of a physiological environment. They may break down but not completely, so instead, they end up in the environment contributing to the toxic elements that slowly destroy our surroundings.
2. Plastic affects the taste of whatever drink we pour into plastic cups, so drinks naturally taste better when poured into reusable plastic cups. Reusable plastic cups do not have that fresh-out-of-the-factory taste.
3. The planet does not have enough resources to supply everyone with a single-use plastic cup. It seems like a silly idea to just use a new cup each time we are thirsty, right?
4. Plastic production is in itself a highly destructive process for the environment. From the emissions to the by-products, producing anything plastic is actually harmful to Mother Nature. Recycling too, will take up energy and resources that could otherwise be saved if consumers learned to reuse plastic cups.
5. Plastic has trace elements of BPA and phthalates which are potentially harmful chemicals. Not only are these elements linked to cancer, but they are especially dangerous for children as well. More and more countries are taking preventive measures to ensure that BPA and phthalates are not being taken in by consumers.
Not only can reusing plastic cups help save the environment, it also lets consumers save more. Instead of purchasing plastic cups each time we get thirsty, reusing them can help us save more money. CupDepot.com, a leading distributor of Karat® and Karat® Earth products, offers eco-friendly plastic cups and other products like plastic lids, paper cups, straws, and utensils.